Lenny Kravitz reflects on his 35-year music career in a People magazine cover story.
- Lenny Kravitz reflects on his 35-year music career in a People magazine cover story, marking the start of Black History Month.
- The four-time Grammy winner discusses the longevity of his career, describing it as both seeming like lifetimes ago and just yesterday.
- Kravitz’s twelfth studio album is set to release on May 24, following the attention-grabbing music video for his latest single, “TK421.”
- In the ’80s, Kravitz faced challenges in getting his rock music recognized by labels due to stereotypes about Black artists not fitting certain expectations.
- Despite pressure to conform to commercial norms, he resisted making music that was perceived as either “Black enough” or “white enough.”
- Let Love Rule, his debut album, drew inspiration from diverse influences, including Duke Ellington, The Jackson 5, Led Zeppelin, and his then-partner Lisa Bonet.
- Kravitz emphasizes that he refused to conform to industry expectations, creating music that reflected his personal experiences and diverse musical interests.
- He highlights the importance of recognizing the diversity within the Black community, emphasizing that Black is not a monolithic identity.
- Kravitz traces his love for bands like Led Zeppelin back to the power of Black music by artists like Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley, acknowledging their influence.
- He notes the transformative impact of British musicians who electrified and intensified the origins of Black music.
- Kravitz points out the significance of retaining cultural heritage and creations, urging people to remember and appreciate the contributions of Black musicians.
- Despite the lack of recognition from some Black awards shows, Kravitz emphasizes that rock and roll is not a solely White art form.
- The artist expresses gratitude for his current state, receiving awards such as the People’s Music Icon Award and the Recording Academy’s Global Impact Award.
- Kravitz feels more inspired than ever, attributing his continued passion to his past, present, and future.
- He views his journey as walking in the destiny that God created for him, embracing his identity as a bona fide rock star.
Keke Palmer discussed retirement from the entertainment industry and hinted that it could be happening soon.